Treat yourself and loved ones to a delicious fresh strawberries and delectable cream. The ultimate after dinner treat.
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp granulated sugar, divided
1 pint fresh ripe strawberries
1 cup 35% cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 100 degrees celcius.
2. To make the meringues, whip the egg whites with an electric hand mixer for 3 minutes, until soft peaks form. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat for about 7 or 8 minutes until stiff, glossy peaks form.
3. Spoon the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a plain round nozzle. Pipe teardropshaped “kisses,” about 1″ in diameter, onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake kisses in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and leave meringues inside for 1 more hour to dry.
4. Meanwhile, hull the strawberries and cut them into quarters. Place in a bowl and stir in remaining 1 tbsp granulated sugar. Crush a few of the berries with the back of a spoon to release some of their juices and make a saucy mixture. Set aside.
5. Using an electric hand mixer, whip the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla extract in a chilled bowl until cream is thick but still soft.
6. To serve, place dollops of whipped cream into four dishes, adding some of the strawberry mixture, another layer of whipped cream and some meringues. Top with a couple of whole strawberries to garnish if desired.
What is your favourite dessert? Tell us in the comments below.