Have nothing to wear on your first date? Don’t worry – we’ve got your back.
How to have a fashionable first date
1. Be yourself. Don’t go out and buy an outfit you would never wear again because you think your date might like it. The reason behind a first date is to get to know each other, so show him your own style!
2. Check what the guy has planned for the evening. If he wants to keep it as a surprise, ask him what he’ll be wearing so you’ll have a vague idea.
3. Think about the message you want to convey.
4. Choose something comfortable.
5. Take along a warm top. Contrary to what you see in the movies, guys don’t always carry snug jackets around, and freezing won’t put you in the greatest mood.
What to wear when he’s taking you…
… to dinner
The dinner dress code is usually smart-casual, but it also depends where he’s taking you. If you’re going to a fairly up-market restaurant, you can’t go wrong with your little black dress and chic accessories. You can get away with wearing jeans and a pretty top or a casual dress if you’re going to a steakhouse.
… to the movies
This is the most common and casual first date. A pair of good quality, form-fitting denims with an embellished top is the perfect outfit. Boots or pumps look great. Leave the stilettos at home!
… for a romantic picnic
Opt for something pretty but easy to wear. Heels will get stuck in the grass, so opt for pretty embellished sandals or pumps. And if you have a grass allergy, wear pants instead of a dress or skirt.
… ice-skating, go-kart racing or to a paint-ball game
These fun activities usually don’t go well with heels and tiny skirts. Go for denims, pumps and a cute vest or T-shirt. Wear your hair tied up as it could be quite dangerous if you get it caught.
… the game
So you might both be massive Manchester United fans but that doesn’t mean you have to substitute your fashion cred. If you get taken to a sports game, rather opt for a cool graphic T-shirt, fitted denims and funky sneakers. If you’re a die-hard fan yourself, try wearing the team’s branded accessories, such as a scarf, instead of a bulky football jersey, for instance.
The most important thing to remember is that, despite our efforts, guys hardly ever notice what we wear. Yet the right outfit will give you the confidence to have a great time. So get dressed up for you – you’ll knock his socks off regardless of what you’re wearing.
What will you be wearing on your first date? Tell us in the comments box below.