Need breakfast on the go now that you’ve returned to work? Try these delicious, low-fat breakfast muffins for a nutritious start to the day.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
Makes 12 delicious muffins
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
250 gr rolled oats
125 gr raisins
1 large egg, beaten
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup skim milk
4 medium carrots, shredded
1 medium ripe banana, mashed
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
2. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick baking spray.
3. Sieve the flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, sugar, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Mix dry ingredients well.
4. Add the raisins and oats to the dry mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and add the oil and milk and mix well. Add to the dry mixture and blend well.
6. Add the milk, carrots, and banana and mix well until the fruit is evenly dispersed throughout the mixture.
7. Fill each cup in the muffin pan with a 1/4 cup of the batter.
8. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
These muffins can keep for up to 3 days an airtight container, so you can bake them a day in advance, so that they are ready to grab in the morning.
What is your favourite on-the-go breakfast? Tell us in the comments below.