Sporty style has evolved from slouchy track pants and running shoes to sophisticated racer-back tops and tights. We tell you how to wear the sports luxe trend.
Until now, sporty has been anything but stylish. Sagging track pants, oversized Ts and sports bras are hardly fashion must-haves, but recently the sporty trend has morphed into an edgy body-conscious look packed with attitude. From neon ankle-zip leggings teamed with sexy patent-leather platforms to silk jumpsuits and utility pants – the luxe-sports look is the perfect blend of athletic and sophisticated.
Inspired by street culture, this trend is huge on the international catwalks, with models strutting down the catwalk in baggy track tops teamed with leather pencil skirts and high-heeled sneakers, or in velour shorts teamed with leather jackets and tights.
The look incorporates wearable pieces in fabrics ranging from breathable fibres to spandex to leather to mesh. Colours range from vibrant neons to metallics to prints. Think ’80s punk with subtle sporty touches.
This is a great trend to experiment with and can easily be worked into your daily wardrobe. Start off with a few understated outfits – a body-conscious dress with a pair of high-top sneakers, or a pair of neon leggings under a longer-length vest. Or glam up a pair of leggings with a sequined tank – perfect for a night out on the town!
Build this trend into you look subtly with sporty accessories, such as a metallic bowling bag, sporty aviator sunglasses or shoes embellished with zippers and studs.
1. Loose and baggy pieces such as bomber jackets and hoodies add weight, so choose fitted or cropped versions, especially if you’re petite. To balance baggy items, wear them with leggings or skinny denims. For a streamlined figure, remember not to pair baggy items with other loose items.
2. This look is more about glam casual wear than athletics gear. Wear one or two sporty pieces at a time and balance the look with softer, more feminine items and plain accessories.
3. Vertical stripes streamline your figure while horizontal ones add width. Remember this when choosing striped pieces.
4. If you’re petite, steer clear of wearing high-top sneakers with skirts or capri pants, because the high ankle will make your legs appear even shorter.
5. If you have broad shoulders, choose a feminine halterneck detail to help narrow down your shape.
Will you wear the sports luxe look? Tell us in the comments below.
Images images via Vogue